National Institute for Nuclear Physics | Ferrara Division


P.I.: Marco Romagnoni

Steering of high-energy particle beams can be achieved by exploiting planar channeling in bent crystals. Indeed, the atomic planes of a crystal lattice once aligned with incoming particles acts similarly to a waveguide and deliver deflection equivalent to hundreds of Tesla magnetic dipole. Indeed, channeling is particularly efficient for positive particles, achieving deflection for up to ~80% of channeled particles. However, the remaining 20% of particles are often not negligible when design bent crystal applications.
The GALORE project (hiGh-efficient beam deflector fOR accElerators) is currently aiming to overcome this key limitation by developing a new type of bent crystals which could potentially completely suppress such losses. This goal can be achieved by machining of a microscopic structure on the crystal in order to affect channeled particles dynamics. The project will focus on devising a reliable fabrication procedure and finally test the efficacy with high energy beams available at CERN. The success of the project would not only improve current setups but also enable completely new schemes for crystal-assisted beam manipulation.



login piccolo mail 145

Events Calendar

February 2024
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 1 2

upcoming events

infn pulsante 2017
lavoro pulsante ing 2017
tesi pulsante ing 2017
tt infn 2017
unife physics and earth sciences
asimmetrie pulsante blu3
Amministrazione Trasparente

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand